Waxvine Application

In 2017, I began working full-time on what was up to that point a side project. Waxvine provides a content management platform specifically designed to support UX and UI experts and the content they create.


The idea for creating a hosted solution for design systems was based on my work creating and managing the design standards at Expeditors. It took a dedicated team to manage the standards which applied across multiple teams. I wanted to create a solution that would reduce the cost of implementation and maintenance.


Before diving into development, I spent time talking with fellow designers to determine viability and requirements. Along the way, I learned that my original concepts were too ambitious and what was really needed was a simple way to quickly document design standards that are shareable with teammates. Once I was able to partner with the right developer, work began on determining the technical underpinnings from data storage to the front-end solution. We built a first version that was fantastically horrible but it's what led to the current, fantastically great version.

Nerd Notes

Documentation like style guides have content requirements that go beyond what a baseline CMS provides. Since the appliction was developed using Facebook's JavaScript library React, we also used Draft (their rich-text editor framework) as a foundation for our solution. This allowed us to give users the ability to add fancy things like color swatches.

Mobile Display

Although there was no explicit requirement for a mobile version of the app, I wanted to ensure that it displayed well on smaller devices.

Waxvine Branding

One of the most challenging aspects of building a startup is marketing. When we originally launched, the website was very simple. Too simple, really. It didn't say enough about what we offered, our message was too vague, and it had no personality.


To address some of these concerns, I set out to refine our product definition. I wanted a very simple, straightforward message. I came up with Simply, style guides.

At its most basic, our product allows users to create style and brand guides. In reality, our users could create all sorts of design-related documenation but I thought that focusing the pitch was an important part of the plan.


My strategy was really two parts: refine the message and show some personality. I wanted a metaphor that would make a positive first impression as well as support the updated marketing content. Using a construction metaphor allowed me to create several scenes that would speak to individual sections in a fun and lighthearted way.

Billing Analytics

The goal of Globys's flagship product is to allow large telecoms to better serve their business customers by enabling them to see their calling data in much greater detail. Its design worked well for the time (circa 2000), but needed a redesign to stay relevant in the eyes of its users.


The application hadn't seen any significant updates in several years. Starting in 2012, I set out to create a vision for how this product would look and behave moving forward. Not only should it meet the needs of the user, but I wanted to set a course for the product design that would be easy to maintain and evolve in the future.


Although the product owner had years of experience with the product, I wanted to start with a blank slate. The last thing I wanted was to enter the design phase with a whole bunch of assumptions. So, based on lots of analysis, conversations, and questions, I iterated through several design concepts. With input from our engineering team, we decided to use Bootstrap. I created a fresh look on top of a tried and true foundation for responsive design. Although there weren't immediate needs for a mobile solution, utilizing responsive solutions would ensure that the team could accommodate such a requirement when it came up.

Client Management

Designed for banking account managers, the application’s goal was to provide insight into what was happening with customers.


In an effort to expand Globys's product offerings, I led the design for a client management application.


My goal was to design a compelling product that was easy to sell and users would love. I designed it with the same visual look and feel of the billing application above. This would provide visual consistency for branding and ease of implementation across the Globys product portfolio.